1 whole rabbit
Salt and pepper
Flour, for dusting
2 cups onions, finely diced
2 cups leeks, finely diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tblps rosemary, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon porcini mushrooms
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
Pinch of red pepper flakes
1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup unsalted chicken broth
1. Cut rabbit into 9 pieces: with a sharp knife, cut the saddle (center portion) into 3 pieces. Cut the front portion (front legs) in half through the backbone. Chop each hind leg into 2 pieces.
2. Heat 1/4 inch of olive oil in a Dutch oven or deep, wide heavy skillet over medium heat. Season rabbit with salt and pepper, dust lightly with flour. Lightly brown for 3 minutes on both sides. Drain on kitchen towels, transfer to baking dish in one layer. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Pour off used oil, wipe out pan and add 2 tbls fresh oil. Heat to medium-high, add onions and cook till soft, about 5 min. Add leek, garlic, rosemary and mushrooms. Season generously with salt and pepper, add red pepper flakes to taste. Cook for 2 minutes more, stirring.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and wine, and let the mixture reduce for 1 minute. Add the broth, bring to a simmer, taste and adjust seasonings.
5. Ladle mixture over rabbit. Cover dish, bake for 1 hour. Let rest 10 minutes before serving.